I have liked Kat Von D beauty for the longest time – in fact years ago I remember getting a friend to buy me her palettes from Sephora, and paying £50 for a palette on eBay which had a retail of about $25. So many years later, the brand has arrived officially in the UK. Even though the brand (like Kat) is edgy, there’s still the option for a more neutral look if that’s what you like. I like that the option is there.
So even more exciting – Kat Von D counters are popping up and one arrived local to me in Debenhams Manchester (City Centre branch).
I have to be honest – I am not a frequent Debenhams shopper, but this counter gives me a reason to go in (can I also say, they have a nice kids clothing section!).
I went with my Unicorn friend, Lima from who has a different make up style to me, but found stuff she liked, and I found stuff I like. For example, Lima looked at the products and thought about what colours would blend together and looked at which lip colours would work for a two toned lip. She had ideas about blending the amazing (BUT SO SOLD OUT) Alchemist palette or using it with a spray for a super holo look. I looked for colours that were neutral to a pop of colour, I liked the glitter eyeshadows but also the Alchemist palette for doing a subtle highlight.
Here is the Alchemist palette (SOLD OUT! I am going to be on the hunt for this as it’s only £25 for 4 colours, each a different holo shade with a hint of pink, or green, or gold etc.):
Here the MUA crumbled a little powder and mixed it with Kat’s mist to create a strong highlight. I wasn’t against it actually – yes it was bolder than I would wear but was it fun? Yes!
Ok so my favourite thing of all is the Liquid Lipstick – I don’t actually own a full size Liquid Lipstick! (I have a mini Double Dare and a mini Lolita II).
So I swatched all of the colours on the stand on my arm.
The Everlasting Liquid Lipstick is really good – I have dry lips and there is no liquid lipstick on earth I can wear none stop but I can do Kat’s on and off without it drying my lips. It’s also super long lasting. Compared to say, the Colorpop stuff I bought recently there is no comparison quality wise (but of course you pay for the quality).
(NOTE: There are fake Kat lipsticks sold online. They should retail for £17 each unless there’s a discount code for Debenhams. Don’t buy fakes, you don’t know what they put in them, the colour won’t be quite right, nor will the finish, so what’s the point?).
Everything is organised in a logical way from nudes to pinks to brights.
* marked are newer shades
1 – Muneca -very pale whitish pink*
2. Noble – very pale beige*
3. Ophelia – pale brownish rose nude*
4. Ludwig – pale brownish nude*
5. Bow N Arrow – Nude brown beige. I really wanted this for a very long time because I see it being used as a highlighter shade on skin tones like mine. In the end I decided against it for now.
6. Double Dare – Pinkish brown. Looks more brown on me than pink once dried.
7. Sanctuary – Greyish light plum*
8. Hawkwind – Warm brown*
9. Cruxifix – Chocolate brown*
10. Vampira – Brusied deep brownish red
11. Damned – Vampy deep berry plum
12. Exorcism – Purple plum
13. Nas Fur Atoo – Bright brownish red
14. Outlaw – Bright clear red
15. Santa Sangre – Bright orange red
16. Lolita I – Brownish rose (Best seller!)
17. Lolita Version II – Warmer more orange toned than Lolita I
18. Batchelorette – Bright reddish pink
19. Berlin – Light cool toned candy pink
20. A-Go-Go – Neon orange
21. Beloved – Bright yellowish based pink
22. Melancholia – Light warm toned candy pink
23. Requiem – Light whitish lilac
24. Lovesick – Medium violet pink
25. Mother – Full on warm rosey pink
26. Bauhaus – Fuchsia
27. Backstage Bambi – Neon pink
28. L.U.V – Purple-violet
29. Susperia – Violet (a deeper version of LUV)
30. Ayesha – Medium Lilac cream
31. Echo – Deep indigo.
32. Witches – Black. Actually not 100% opaque so would work really well to shade in other colours or to do a two toned lip.
Although everything in me said BUY LOLITA! I actually went for the two I thought I could wear and have fun with- Mother, which is a not too neutral, not too bright pink which makes my face look more alive, followed by Backstage Bambi, which is a ultra bright neon hot pink (I have a thing for hot pinks). I may shade this in a little with a deeper richer pink in my collection too.
I also walked away with Kat’s primer and am expecting her foundation in the post, so I’ll let you know what I think of those once I try them out.
Other products I want to try are her concealer, and her Alchemist palette, if it ever comes back in stock! If I were to buy another Everlasting Liquid Lipstick (which I am sure I will), I would then go for Lolita I (I prefer it over the orangey-ness of the second version) and Santa Sangre which is a bright orange red, perfect for summer.
Kat Von D is available in the
*Do you have a favourite product from Kat Von D Beauty?